The Franciscan site (The Catholic Shepherd’s Field), known as Der Es-Siar, lies 1 km northwest of the Orthodox location. This site contains a large monastic agricultural establishment, filled with cisterns and grottoes.
According to evidence in the field, an early church dating from the fifth century was enlarged in the sixth century and stones from the octagonal structure of the Basilica of the Nativity were used in the construction of its apse. The present sanctuary, erected in 1953-54, stands over a cave in which the shepherds are believed to have lived. It is built in the shape of a tent, permitting natural light to enter the church in beautiful rays. Every year on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day those fields are crowded with thousands of pilgrims, singing Christmas carols in celebration of the joyous event of Jesus Christ's birth.